Sunday, August 28, 2011

Running Buddies

Athleticism has never been a big deal in my family, with my mum. As a child my two siblings and I were limited to one sport each, one of my mum's many rules. Later on when I asked my mum if I could join a travel soccer team she immediately said. It's not that my mother dislikes sports it that she doesn't appreciate the time they take away from her schedule.

Describing my mum's relationship to athleticism is not meant to by any means put her down but more to emphasize my surprise when I returned to her this summer and she had told me she had taken up running. This is the same woman who told me that running on the street would damage my knees and make me older faster. This afternoon, after only being home for a tense 45 minutes, my mum instructed my brother, in a icy crisp tone of voice, to go on a run. He happily agreed, as long as he away from her he generally agrees. She too decided to go on a run, not long after Brendan left. By chance I was also planning on going for a run.

In the span of 20 minutes my entirely family left separately to go running. Maybe this is just me but I find this quite odd. Do we all dread spending time with each other that much?  Or are we all just trying to get really fit? I was the last to come home by about an hour. When I arrived home my mother was in her room and my brother in his. Are we now using our rooms as tools of escape and avoidence?

No comments:

Post a Comment